Friday, December 08, 2006

The Problem with CoH/V

So I've been playing City of Heroes (well, villains really) for a while. I've gotten a few characters up into the higher parts... and while I still enjoy playing it immensely, I find that I am not making the amount of tangible "progress" I feel I should. The combat still feels innovative and action packed... but even the best action movie out there knows there has to be a payoff at the end.

So, I guess what I'm saying is I feel like I'm levelling too slowly.

And that leaves me with the question of, what am I levelling FOR? I can't stand playing with other people, by and large. This precludes me from the endgame big "raids." The PvP, while a charming diversion, is not something in which you can make a long investment, a la DAOC. Really, what it boils down to is that when you get 50, and you get all your "hammy enhancements" or whatever... what's left? Start a new character. That's it. And while I enjoy the first 25 or so levels, the thought of pushing through 26-50 again at half of what the rate of exp gain SHOULD be, the sweet taste of (in)justice turns to ashes in my mouth.

And that makes me sad, because I REALLY like the character customization in this game.

I haven't cancelled my account yet... Maybe the new patches coming up will do something for me. As I play villains mostly, the latest (mostly hero-oriented) expansion "issue" didn't do much for me.

Oh, and I got a look at the new costume options too... it's like Cryptic went over to the Matrix Online prop department, filled up a cart, and ran away as fast as they could. The new sunglasses, the trenchcoats, etc... all scream "TEH MAYTRICKS!" as loud as digitally possible. Well, at least they did a good job with the glasses, and some of the new costume patterns are good... and the "trinity" female trenchcoat is kinda neat too... but I am disappointed in the look of the trenchoats for male characters. I was expecting Sam Spade. Peter Gunn. Humphrey Bogart. What I got was a longsleeve vest with a flowing, lightweight cape tied to my ass. With the right color, it still looks passable... but I wanted Bogey, dammit.

And that's the view from Bandit Camp
...

No comments: